Why is hydration important?
- Water accounts for about 60% of an adult’s body weight and 75% of an infant’sJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It performs crucial roles in our body such as carrying nutrients to cells, helping to remove waste products from our major organs and helping to regulate our body’s temperatureJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It is constantly being lost from our body, not only through urine and faeces, but also through our skin and breath. Our brain is 73% waterMitchell HH et al (1945) The chemical composition of the adult human body and its bearing on the biochemistry of growth, so poor hydration can also affect how it functionsLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review and recommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561S.
- Studies show that dehydration reflected in a 1-2% reduction in body weight can reduce our ability to concentrate, our cognitive and physical performance, and increase feelings of aggression or irritationLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review andrecommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561SEFSA Journal 2011: 9(4):2075 Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to water and maintenance of normal physical and cognitive functions (ID 1102, 1209, 1294, 1331) maintenance of normal thermoregulation (ID 1208) and “basic requirement of all living things” (ID 1207) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/20061.
- We don’t have a real water storage in our body, so it must be replaced regularly by water from our diet.
Shepley Spring joins the NHC
February 2016: The Natural Hydration Council (NHC) has announced that Shepley Spring Water has become its...
Children’s TV characters are pushing fizzy drinks
December 2015: A report published by the Natural Hydration Council shows that almost two thirds of...
Warning on alcohol consumption levels for soap characters
December 2015: A report published by the natural hydration council shows that little more than one...
How Much Water Should I Drink? And Common Water Myths Busted
December 2015: Good Housekeeping look at how much water you should be drinking including tips on...