Why is hydration important?
- Water accounts for about 60% of an adult’s body weight and 75% of an infant’sJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It performs crucial roles in our body such as carrying nutrients to cells, helping to remove waste products from our major organs and helping to regulate our body’s temperatureJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It is constantly being lost from our body, not only through urine and faeces, but also through our skin and breath. Our brain is 73% waterMitchell HH et al (1945) The chemical composition of the adult human body and its bearing on the biochemistry of growth, so poor hydration can also affect how it functionsLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review and recommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561S.
- Studies show that dehydration reflected in a 1-2% reduction in body weight can reduce our ability to concentrate, our cognitive and physical performance, and increase feelings of aggression or irritationLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review andrecommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561SEFSA Journal 2011: 9(4):2075 Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to water and maintenance of normal physical and cognitive functions (ID 1102, 1209, 1294, 1331) maintenance of normal thermoregulation (ID 1208) and “basic requirement of all living things” (ID 1207) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/20061.
- We don’t have a real water storage in our body, so it must be replaced regularly by water from our diet.
The Mirror: Holiday health survival guide
July 2015: July 2015: The Daily Mirror have written a guide on how to enjoy a...
The Sun: Keep cool and carry on
July 2015: June 2015: An article in The Sun looks at ways of keeping cool this...
NHC response: Selfridges’ decision to remove plastic water bottles
July 2015: Bottled water represents approximately 18% of the packaged soft drinks market and has the...
GPs reveal UK ‘tired all the time’
May 2015: New survey reveals one fifth of GP visits down to tiredness and fatigue. Dehydration...