Why is hydration important?
- Water accounts for about 60% of an adult’s body weight and 75% of an infant’sJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It performs crucial roles in our body such as carrying nutrients to cells, helping to remove waste products from our major organs and helping to regulate our body’s temperatureJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It is constantly being lost from our body, not only through urine and faeces, but also through our skin and breath. Our brain is 73% waterMitchell HH et al (1945) The chemical composition of the adult human body and its bearing on the biochemistry of growth, so poor hydration can also affect how it functionsLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review and recommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561S.
- Studies show that dehydration reflected in a 1-2% reduction in body weight can reduce our ability to concentrate, our cognitive and physical performance, and increase feelings of aggression or irritationLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review andrecommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561SEFSA Journal 2011: 9(4):2075 Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to water and maintenance of normal physical and cognitive functions (ID 1102, 1209, 1294, 1331) maintenance of normal thermoregulation (ID 1208) and “basic requirement of all living things” (ID 1207) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/20061.
- We don’t have a real water storage in our body, so it must be replaced regularly by water from our diet.
Daily Mail Online Health Notes: Sparkling water contains no calories and sugar
September 2015: The Mail Online Health Notes quote the results from the NHC survey that one...
Roger Henderson expresses concern that almost as many people search online to access health advice as consult their GP
September 2015: Blogging on the Huffington Post Dr Roger Henderson expresses his concern about a NHC...
BBC Future take a look at sparkling water and debunk the myths behind it
September 2015: BBC Future piece debunks the myths about sparkling water being detrimental to our gut,...
Water myths debunked; How much to drink and when to drink it, plus what the real benefits are
August 2015: Dr Emma Derbyshire helps debunk the myths around water and how much to drink...