Why is hydration important?
- Water accounts for about 60% of an adult’s body weight and 75% of an infant’sJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It performs crucial roles in our body such as carrying nutrients to cells, helping to remove waste products from our major organs and helping to regulate our body’s temperatureJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It is constantly being lost from our body, not only through urine and faeces, but also through our skin and breath. Our brain is 73% waterMitchell HH et al (1945) The chemical composition of the adult human body and its bearing on the biochemistry of growth, so poor hydration can also affect how it functionsLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review and recommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561S.
- Studies show that dehydration reflected in a 1-2% reduction in body weight can reduce our ability to concentrate, our cognitive and physical performance, and increase feelings of aggression or irritationLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review andrecommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561SEFSA Journal 2011: 9(4):2075 Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to water and maintenance of normal physical and cognitive functions (ID 1102, 1209, 1294, 1331) maintenance of normal thermoregulation (ID 1208) and “basic requirement of all living things” (ID 1207) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/20061.
- We don’t have a real water storage in our body, so it must be replaced regularly by water from our diet.
Water myths debunked; How much to drink and when to drink it, plus what the real benefits are
August 2015: Dr Emma Derbyshire helps debunk the myths around water and how much to drink...
New study suggests drinking water before meal may help people to lose weight
August 2015: A new preliminary study by the University of Birmingham suggests that drinking 500ml of plain...
Children’s hydration habits – the importance of staying hydrated for back to school
August 2015: As the beginning of September marks the time in which children head back to...