Why is hydration important?
- Water accounts for about 60% of an adult’s body weight and 75% of an infant’sJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It performs crucial roles in our body such as carrying nutrients to cells, helping to remove waste products from our major organs and helping to regulate our body’s temperatureJequier E & Constant F (2010) Eur J Clin: Water as an essential nutrient
- It is constantly being lost from our body, not only through urine and faeces, but also through our skin and breath. Our brain is 73% waterMitchell HH et al (1945) The chemical composition of the adult human body and its bearing on the biochemistry of growth, so poor hydration can also affect how it functionsLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review and recommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561S.
- Studies show that dehydration reflected in a 1-2% reduction in body weight can reduce our ability to concentrate, our cognitive and physical performance, and increase feelings of aggression or irritationLieberman HR (2007) Hydration and cognition: a critical review andrecommendations for future research. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 25, 555S-561SEFSA Journal 2011: 9(4):2075 Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to water and maintenance of normal physical and cognitive functions (ID 1102, 1209, 1294, 1331) maintenance of normal thermoregulation (ID 1208) and “basic requirement of all living things” (ID 1207) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/20061.
- We don’t have a real water storage in our body, so it must be replaced regularly by water from our diet.
Local Goverment Association: Put tap water on tables in restaurants
April 2016: Local Government Association calls for restaurants to encourage drinking water to help fight childhood...
How much water should you drink during a marathon?
April 2016: Express online includes top tips from Professor Sanders about how to stay hydrated during...
Blog highlighting how to stay hydrated before, during & after exercise
April 2016: Personal trainer Carly Tierney talks about hydration the best ways to stay hydrated during exercise....
New Eatwell Guide: “It is good to see that water is the first choice for hydration”
March 2016: Public Health England’s new Eatwell Guide, now includes a glass of water, recognising the important...